FEASTING on OMAD - effect on insulin levels | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
grandaddykush
grandaddykush Aug 31 '17

I do OMAD quite often but I notice that to fit the necessary nutrients and calories in the one meal, it seems that I eat A LOT. so while fasting helps regulate insulin levels in our body, how does feasting BIG TIME affect these levels?

I hope my question makes sense

sunsetketo
sunsetketo Aug 31 '17
Hi!
Eating in general will raise insulin levels, but WHAT you eat can dramatically effect how high those insulin levels go. Have you ever heard of keto? Or maybe you're already even doing keto, but just in case you haven't heard about it...

I think your best bet for not having a large insulin spike after eating all of your calories in one meal would be to eat that meal with keto macros.

Keto is 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs. Carbs are the biggest factor in your pancreas releasing insulin because carbs increase blood glucose. Then protein is the next biggest factor that raises insulin; but then fat virtually does not raise insulin levels. So if your OMAD is high fat, moderate protein, and very low carb (your carbs coming from leafy greens, avocado, and other low "net carb" vegetables so that you get fiber), then you shouldn't have too big of an insulin spike.

Also, another bonus of keto is that it suppresses appetite, so it'll make it even easier to be fasting for such a long time since fat is the most satiating and filling macro. If you're interested in looking more into keto I recommend searching Dr. Berg and Jason Wittrock on YouTube. They both know a lot and you could go from there.

So yeah, basically your best bet for not messing with insulin too much would be to make sure your one meal has 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs.
Also try to make sure that your fats are healthy fats: stay away from canola oil, vegetable oil etc, and stick with healthy oils like avocado, olive, macadamia, MCT, etc and then also high fat meats, cheese, whole eggs, avocado, etc.
Then your protein will naturally come from the meats, cheese, eggs, etc.
And try your best to have your carbs come from leafy vegetables, broccoli, asparagus, avocado etc. since they have a lot of fiber and not a lot of sugar.