Being social on fast days | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
erinwoz
erinwoz Sep 25 '17
Hey all! I'm currently trialing a 4:3 eating schedule, fasting MWF, and OMAD on Sundays. I'm really enjoying this schedule as it allows me a lot of freedom, and every fast day gets easier and easier. It's awesome. 

My problem lies in continuing to be social on my fast days. I haven't really expressed what I'm doing, other than to family, because I have a feeling my friends would be less understanding because of the way society views food. Just an experiment in reading youtube comments about IF makes me want to avoid telling anyone else. How do you guys go about hanging out with friends and such when you are fasting? OR have you even told your friends? How did they react?

Thanks pals! 

kaleidoscopeiiis
kaleidoscopeiiis Sep 26 '17
It kind of depends on who you are hanging out with. I work in the Bay Area, and stuff like IF is popular or at least semi-well known here. So if I am in a pinch and really need to excuse myself from eating, I tell them that I am on an intermittent "eating schedule" and that I am going to eat later, or that I already ate. I've only told 1 person at work that I was alternate day fasting (at the time), and that was only because she was asking extensively about if I wanted to get lunch, and what I was doing for dinner, and I got backed into a corner. She was kind of surprised, said she had heard of it, asked if I didn't get too hungry, and then dropped it. It hasn't come up since.
kaleidoscopeiiis
kaleidoscopeiiis Sep 26 '17
Also, I find that if you make a joke of it like "Yeah, I'll totally come hang out with you, but I probably won't eat anything. I have MASSIVE dinner plans later," people will laugh a bit, get the picture (you like eating, but you calorie budgeting) and leave you alone. I mostly don't explain myself. I just do what I want, and drink my water.
FastingMama
FastingMama Sep 27 '17
I have a friend I always eat lunch with out at a restaurant, not the thing I want to do on a fasting day.  If it's a day to meet her and I'm fasting I have asked her before hand if we can go to a movie together (she can still eat while next to me if she'd like) or do a walk or coffee.  I am still avoiding social situations for the most part when fasting, though it seems like TONS of people can easily hang out with people who are eating around them I unfortunately can not....yet.
adminfs
adminfs Sep 27 '17

Quote from FastingMama I have a friend I always eat lunch with out at a restaurant, not the thing I want to do on a fasting day.  If it's a day to meet her and I'm fasting I have asked her before hand if we can go to a movie together (she can still eat while next to me if she'd like) or do a walk or coffee.  I am still avoiding social situations for the most part when fasting, though it seems like TONS of people can easily hang out with people who are eating around them I unfortunately can not....yet.

It's hard to be social and not eat that is for sure. I had a meeting tonight and there were pretzels and popcorn and wew, it was hard to not indulge. Went well though, I got my eyes on the 10 day prize. I feel the HGH pumping through my system. Headache from yesterday is gone. Life is good. Looking forward to adding my bonus sleep hours to tonight's fast. When I wake up tomorrow I'll be at 80 hours and that is awesome.